Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Peanut butter noodle time

Back already?? You know it.

Yesterday was filled with New Years energy. Two delicious meals sandwiched my first run of 2013 with a dear friend, Hannah, and a rousing game of SET (is that website from the 90s?). This was one of those days when I realized it IS worth it to cook food at home. (Find out why in the "lessons learned" section at the end.) Let's take a look at what those meals included...

Brunch

My roommate Leila, her boyfriend Chris, and I decided to make some noms at home instead of waiting in the atrociously long lines for New Years brunch. Leila whipped up some mean jumbo chocolate-chip pancakes, while Chris and I created a tasty egg scramble with veggies. See the setup below:

Look closely and you can see goat cheese!


Dinner


This was the path to dinner in my post-run stupor:


Eleanor: Maybe I'll make cookies. What kind of cookies should I make?

Hannah: Peanut butter!

Eleanor: **searches "peanut butter" on Mother Would Know** Oooh, I'll make peanut noodles!


Makes a lot of sense. I promptly informed my roommates that dinner was on its way. I started on my exciting peanut noodle adventure. Of course, I used this recipe as the jump-off point. To add some nutrition, I steamed brussel sprouts, kale, snap peas and tofu. Leila showed off her sweet flair in a blueberry and nectarine pie. YUM. It was truly a winning combination.

Not pictured: Sriracha and Soyaki sauces

Note Leila's lattice

Lessons from today's adventures:

  1. Steaming vegetables is lots of fun.
  2. Cooking for others is lots of fun. And rewarding! And costs no extra money besides the food I already bought!
  3. Cooking a meal usually takes less or the same energy/time as complaining about how hungry I am.
What a productive day. Now about that messy room...

~Eleanor

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful start to your cooking adventure. And your team seems to have worked so well together - I admired how balanced both your meals were and not just nutritionally:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good food day! Let's keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mother Would Know! We are a great team. Look out for future collaborations. Maybe one day I'll do one with you too :)

    Leila, I agree! Can't wait for our next cooking adventure.

    ReplyDelete